Tuesday, September 30, 2008

all kinds of terrorism

I had a conversation with a very dear friend the other day, about drinking.  Putting together sober weeks.  I tried to be encouraging and at the same time convey my experience of "balance" as highly subjective and experimental.


As I began to examine what felt out of balance, I felt very teetery.   I kept testing my limits and failing and having to regroup.  Now it feels as though I'm in a healthier groove and I can feel the rewards more.  Wellness is less conceptual and more experiential.  Me and the dog like to jog.  (In the fog.)  It's not something we have to gear ourselves up to do.  I like this better than what I was doing with myself before.

This morning is divided up into ABM and PBM (Ante-Bosch Man and Post Bosch Man).  I am waiting for Godot Appliances to show up and tell us why our sexy Bosch dryer has lights that say dry but no actual drying going on.  We went on a Bosch binge for a while.  I think it was connected to coming back from London, where we admired all the cute, computerized appliances.  We have a whispery quiet Bosch dishwasher (several times I tried to type "disch"!), and stacking cute sexy computerized washer and dryer, or in our case, non-dryer.

Overall, we are pleased with these appliances, but we are also becoming more acquainted with our Bosch Man.  He has the market here pretty much cornered, since not too many folks are certified, meaning they can get actual parts.  We flailed around quite a while when our dishwasher stopped puming out water.  That was inconvenient.  It didn't help that we bought all these items on sale, at drastically reduced, as it, chipped and damaged prices.  No extended warranty for us!  So, Mr. Godot, realistically, has me by the short hairs.  He will extort his price and take his time.  My wife has authorized me to do what I must, up to and including selling my somewhat improved body, in order to get the laundry operation up and moving.  She was realy suicidal when she returned from the local Duds and Suds this weekend.

The good news on the national front is that in spite of the last 8 years, the populace appears to be aware that McCain has sold his soul and moved beyond any residual dignity he may have had in a shameless pusuit of a rabbit to pull from his tattered old hat.  Sarah Palin ought to seal the deal for us against Biden on Thursday.  Biden's task: how to dissect her without appearing mean or condescending.  Just stand back, buddy and let her open her mouth.  Meanwhile I can't get on to Wells Fargo to move my 401k money into securities.  Funny.  I can't say I'm sorry that bailout vote didn't go through.  The idea of handing these bozos a blank check for 7 billion or trillion ("how many zeros in a Brazilian?") seems a bit optimistic given their fiscal (or any other) record.  

I'd like to see these rich real estate snake oil salesmen and women at least held to the same level of accountability we expect from a welfare mother.

I was watching a PBS biography of Ronald Reagan, which was rather worshipful to my way of thinking.  It spent a little time at the end giving some lip service to his excellent job of gutting the Federal Government so as to render it incapable of "interfering" with people's lives.  Under his watch we also didn't "interfere" with the HIV epidemic, or with the astronomical number of homeless people, many living right across from Nancy's decidedly regal White House.  I wrote a song called "Room in America" then.  Dan thinks it has too many words, and he's probably right, but it's a rant.  His administration was corporate and venal.  Bush and the oligarchy behind him constitute organized crime.

I'm going to vote early and spend some time on this election.  I hardly recognize my country.  I shudder to think of what may happen if these well dressed thugs get another four years.

0 comments: