Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Tag

Here's a picture I took on a romp up to Fall Creek Wisconsin to visit our friend Paul Tweed. He has an alternative science magnet middle and high school set up smack dab in the middle of Beaver Creek Reserve. The kids band owls and track muskies with GPS. For Phys. Ed. they strap on cross country skis and ski a loop in the park. Paul put it together by writing grants and talking to people in his district. It's called The Woodlands School, and they have a website. Very impressive. This is Paul's back yard. I'm a sucker for birch trees.

I'm checking in because I'm having my annual Thanksgiving "gush" and I think we need to check in on this. In my family, a "gush" is a kind of dopey affectionate feeling of well being, generally felt toward another person (pets included, excluding lizards and snakes -- sorry, but you just can't gush for a cold blooded animal; I question fish and small dogs as well, but there you go).

At any rate, this has been an important year for all of us in so many ways, I wondered if there wouldn't be some appropriate space here to reflect for a moment. Here goes. Feel free to chime in.
I'm really glad I had this man for a father, even though he was the definition of "high maintenance." He was breathtakingly honest and intelligent with that laser-like focus that I just can't manage. I'm more of a generalist. Our friend Seth has that kind of focus.

Now that it's just Mom and me, Mom diminishing, it's clearer who was who. Dad struggled with paranoia, but Mom has secrets she'll never tell, even to herself. Dad was by far the more open individual, once he decided he was comfortable.

The best thing about Dad is that he forgave me everything. He was just so glad I was his son he didn't give a damn about the rest of it. Anything I actually accomplished was gravy.

I couldn't understand why this drove my ex-wife crazy, but now, of course, I do. It's gotten me through a lot of rough water, knowing he had my back. It even allows me to forgive myself once in a while.

I'm glad Kevin found Yvonne.

I'm glad Barack won.

I'm very happy to feel a lot better than I did a year ago.

My kids are spectacular, great entertainment, and the source of gestalt in my life.

This sounds a little like an Oscar acceptance speech. I'm grateful that Diana died so well and taught me about it. Educators just can't quit.

I was really glad this praying mantis almost flew into my head as I was mowing the lawn.

It's good that Robyn stuck by me, and I her, during the last few years. As our kids get older, we turn toward each other again and we have been so busy in the last few years it's almost a getting-to-know-you process, and very malleable right now. I wouldn't have anticipated this and I'm glad for it. We needed to rearrange the furniture.

I was talking to a young man who has no useful family this Thanksgiving, since they were pretty abusive. He's pretty solid, but he's going to have to build his own network. I started counting on my fingers, and the family I have assembled is indeed broad, diverse, and strong. Full of fire, passion, imagination, sarcasm (just essential), and compassion.

I don't expect you'll forgive me everything. . . but you've already forgiven plenty.

Thanks.

Tag.

You're it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam:

Your name came up at our Thanksgiving... hoping that we could check in and get a wonderful description of a wacky holiday dinner like last year! Instead, I have to seriously consider all of the things I am thankful for. For our shared experiences I can only say "ditto". Although Thanksgiving was hard.. remembering dp, I really am thankful for her lessons and how we have grown in the last year. I am also thankful for the lessons that my kids teach me and the fact that they have two reasonable parents and a whole bunch of aunts and uncles, as well as grandparents that they can count on. I don't think they will ever have to find their own network. I guess that makes me also thankful to my parents who gave me a built in support system, network, family, best friends... whatever.

How's that for a gush?
Happy Holidays,
Else babe