Thursday, August 7, 2008

Organic

I don't want to be dismissive of that beautiful baby.  I came to this space thinking about some things I wanted to get into bytes, as it were, and there she is all perfect and new.  I bet her parents already know that a lot of hugging now will save a lot of heartache later.


Some don't.

AmeriCorps had our talent show last night.  Any group of 18 to 24 year olds who congregate must organize a talent show.  It's the law in Iowa.  One of the corps members is the highest functioning person with Asperger's syndrome I have ever met.  And I have met a few.  She reasons out relational issues "by rote."  Figuring it out.

One day she came pounding into my office sweating and beet red and I said "Man, you look hot!"  She paused.  Looked up as if doing math and then said "you mean warm, right?"  Yes, that kind of hot.

This woman can sing, and really wanted to do a solo, but she's a little odd and I think other corps members were a little hesitant to make a commitment to rehears with her.  So I offered.  Turns out she can sing.  I mean sing.  She did this song called "God Bless the Broken Road," a gospel love song kind of thing.  Stuck it.  They were hooting and hollering.  All I had to do was play guitar, something I do anyway.  I know what it's like to want to show off.  This woman is often second guessed.  Because she's a bit odd, people make assumptions about her intelligence that are patently incorrect.  Here is someone on the autism spectrum who has insight into the feelings and motivations of other people, I think, by inductive reasoning.  (That's the kind of reasoning where you go from specifics to generalizations, right?)  She's a very interesting head to crawl around in, and pretty rewarding, too.

This photo is of an organic farm I pass on the way to and from work.  It's really tidy and well laid out.  Makes me happy every time I see it.

Feel the love in this world.  Take in deep breaths of it.  It's warm on your skin like a sunny day, which this is going to be.  Cool, dry and sunny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I know that this is to be about transitions, changes and moving forward from "cancer world". I feel like I am still mired in that world. My favorites list still says dp's blog and the links are to Leroy Seivers' blog. I read it daily, good news and bad, and today Leroy died. We knew, if we read it, that it was inevitable, but it sucks.
Last week my girls swim coach from th Y underwent surgery for a fast growing brain tumor, he's in his 40's with 3 kids younger than mine. He is a great guy. This week my father in law goes in for a follow up scan after a reoccurance of his esophogas cancer, now in his lungs.

I am sick of cancer world, I know that I am watching this from the sidelines and it is worse for those on the front lines.

Nancy, that baby is beautiful. Is that what hope looks like?

Love,
Else

Cranium Man said...

I have spent a lot of time pondering entropy and its effects on my loved ones. I have come to the conclusion that Ron is right: "Just because something happens three times in a row doesn't make it any less random," or something to that effect. Two "effects in one paragraph!" Not very disciplined writing.

Sometimes it rains and rains and we get looking for patterns. From my perspective, we make meaning as we go along, and I try to remember that what's happening is not "personal." I know this flies in the face of the "loving God," but there's all kinds of love.

It's a beautiful day. Life is the antidote. Apply liberally!