Monday, June 22, 2009

Oh, shit...

I don't have a lot of details, but Cranium Man was biking in Wisconsin this weekend. There was a hill, a curve, and a patch of gravel. He landed on his face, smashing three(?) vertebrae and his sinus bones. He was airlifted to UW-Madison hospital Saturday, but they couldn't get a neurosurgeon until today.

As of today, I'm on facebook, because Robyn is posting updates there. Here's what I've got from there...

"Surgery supposed to happen today (Mon). will keep you all posted. Sam is getting less comfortable, and I;m sure surgery will change the discomfort to new places."

"Sam is FINALLY heading into surgery in a few moments...it will take 1/2 day, and they are putting some rods and screws in to help with the crushed T3 vertebrae. Looking at a collar for the cervical fracture--best case scenario--worst case = halo with head screws. Will have a back brace for 3 months at least. Will let you know how he progresses...."

"Sam's surgery is going well. Didn't get it started until just after 12:00--so far everything is routine! good news. btw-Tuna can fly."

"It is 6pm-still in surgery. No word on how much longer it will be. They say he is still doing well, and everything is 'standard' whatever that means."

"7 pm- Sam is out of surgery, will be in recovery for an hourish. They plan on keeping us for a week, so we may do facial recon up here as well. Will know more when he's awake and moving. robyn"

I'll let y'all know more as I hear about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting it on here. We were trying to find it on your wall last night and it wasn't working. Whatever they need....

nancyturtle said...

Now I know why Kevin jumped on to facebook. I'll be checking in here and on FB. Sending positive vibes....