Well, it's sugar for sugar
And salt for salt,
If you go down in the flood,
It's gonna be your own fault.
Oh mama, ain't you gonna miss your best friend now?
--Bobby Dylan
My friend Geoff was chastening me not to lose my stuff and go stale in a government job. I think he was concerned that I went for the money and that I won't be challenged. I'll tell you what, friends, if you can't get interested in the largest disaster in Iowa history, you just are not paying attention.
I hung out today at the Red Cross shelter and talked to people this afternoon. Our team has been taking turns helping staff the place. There was a depressed diabetic guy who was really sad and his blood count was high and he wouldn't eat. I got him talking and someone brought him a sandwich and we commiserated and pretty soon someone from his church offered to take him out to see his place, and I slipped the church guy a banana for the old guy to munch on the way.
There were some other down and out folks, some of whom had tales of losing their children, or domestic abuse, or just the hell of losing everything you own and not knowing what the next thing to do is. They were hosting and helping each other, though, sharing information and watching the kids, who by day 3 have made themselves at home. I sat around and worked on getting folks food and listening and feeling grateful that my house is dry and everyone is safe. Pretty soon the worried diabetic guy came back and his friend made sure I saw the banana peel.
I think I'm going to blog the story the worried guy's girlfriend told me. They are a couple of lost folks who have found each other. It was really sweet, actually.
We'll be talking about this spring for a long time.
By the way, did you know that this is Cedar Rapids' "Year of the River?"
3 comments:
I've been thinking an awful lot about you folks with your waters. Iowa floods mean Diana and Kevin to me.
That last "500 year flood" that Kevin remembers happened just as Carl, Patty and Lily tried to roll through Coralville on a return visit from Wisconsin, which resulted in some stationary floating in place of the intended rolling. That stalled week of captivity, full of brain teasers, Mah-Jongg, 5-handed Sheep's Head, Big Wooden Radio and plenty of laughter is a string of glowing golden memories for this girl.
I hope this one subsides post-haste and you all stay safe through it.
Warmly,
Lily
As I was reading the news and viewing pictures on the Iowa City Press Citizen's web site this morning, I just kept thinking "Wow". Then a new thought popped into my head-was this what dp saw coming???
Enough of the fantasy. I checked with Amtrak and learned that all trains into Iowa and Wisconsin are canceled through June 16th. I'll keep checking as time, and water, passes.
Hang in there Iowa Family.
Hello fellow learners and travelers!
I just wanted to say Hey!
I been lurking (in between studying for my PhD qualifying exams)and I wanted to thank everybody for being there at dp's memorial. It was worth every mile, and added a needed continuity to my life.
I have developed this amazing ability to gather a community around me everywhere I have traveled since I left Iowa City in 1989, and you all helped me do that by your friendship. It was amazing to think about my life in relation to Iowa City.
I'm not trying to brag (I'm such a liar)but I have come a long way;
From a "ready-to-drink-the-Koolaid" cult member, to doing a few deprogrammings and being charged with capital kidnapping and beating it, to nursing school, studying archaeology and traveling all over to dig, to finding my American Indian roots and several years of spiritual tutelage under my "uncle," to studying medical anthropology at the masters level, and now maybe someday a PhD in medical sociology.
Damn, I have been busy, and coming back to IC only confirmed what I suspected all along; You have all prepared me for life and I have done well. Thank you!
So thank you again, and I will see you all when the waters subside!
Your Friend,
Rod
In Indian country A.K.A. "He seeks faith" or just "seeks."
Post a Comment