
About the time I was posting yesterday's update, Auntie 'Rie was heading out to that great stuffed cabbage kitchen in the sky.
I took the morning off work and cancelled my trip to St. Louis, and Carl and I went to get a tree. We're going to meet with the funeral home folks in about an hour.
Her wishes included a visitation in the home, a mass at St. Wenceslaus and burial in St. Joseph's. We hope to be able to accomplish all of that on Monday. More as it develops.
UPDATE LATER THAT VERY SAME DAY...
Yep, we're all arranged. Everything happens on Monday: Mass at St. Wenceslaus at 10 am, visitation at da Woods from noon to 5 and burial at St. Joseph's Cemetery (across from the N. Dodge HyVee) at 6 pm. Everybody's welcome, but not obligated. Memorials to Iowa City Hospice in lieu of flowers.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
RIP, Marie Paulina
Posted by
Kevin
at
7:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good-bye, Auntie 'Rie. I will miss you. Enjoy your next adventure.
I'll never forget the poker game when we brought Steve Hendryx to play with Shorty and Marie. Steve was maybe a little condescending at first, they were so "cute." Shorty plopped a leather bag full of change on the table and Marie commenced looking confused. Over the course of the night she peppered the conversation with questions like "what's wild again?" and "what game did you call?" all the while raking in money hand over fist. They were as fine a fleecing operation as I ever hand the chance to witness.
Marie lived long enough to mourn her oldest child. That's longer than I hope to last, personally. She was a fine woman: strong, smart, determined and tender hearted.
The world is a much safe place for inattentive poker players.
Erm, "safer" place.
Dear Carl, Susie and Family,
You are in our thoughts especially tomorrow. I work at a Catholic Church, so I will go into church at 10:00am and pray along with you as you attend Auntie Marie's funeral Mass. She was a wonderful aunt and dynamic person and will be greatly missed. I'm glad that I had the chance to say good-bye to her and Diana last summer. All of us are a little diminished with their passing. Never forget that we were very blessed to have such a great extended family while we were growing up. We have wonderful memories and were surrounded by sincere love and caring. Not many children experience that. Maybe we'll have another memorial at St. John's in a few months and remember everyone especially Aunt Marie and Diana.
All of our love,
Cousin Carol and Fred
Post a Comment