Monday, May 26, 2008

Agreements

At the risk of overly defining things, what are we hoping to accomplish here?  Writing, certainly.  Nancy has just opened up administrator status to us.  How do we want to proceed?   How is this different from our own personal blogs?  What thoughts did folks have when they signed on?


Let's declare some intent, throw some ideas around.   My thinking would be that anything expressive is fair. 

S.

15 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm just airing out my head... ;)

I guess I saw it as a collection of personal blogs. Multiple authors means more posts, and that gives people a reason to check it frequently.

Personally, I thought this would be my only blog, so my part will be kind of be like the sCenario -- part news, part pondering, part nature journal.

Perhaps we'll riff off each other occasionally, but I wouldn't want to restrain myself or others to that. Right now, we've got transitions in common, but that won't go on forever (at least not to this extreme).

I don't like the current template much -- my thoughts just don't feel italicized. I looked at the other templates and didn't see anything that really leapt out at me. Well actually, the Harbor is kind of cool, but I don't know how it would be for photos, and it's a complex design -- we couldn't alter the background images easily.

nancyturtle said...

I am pretty much in line with Kevin's concept of this blog, although I haven't decided to abandon my other blog completely yet. As far as the template, I really don't like any of the Google templates much, but I lack the skills to design my own. I picked this one because the colors worked with the picture I wanted to use. My choice for a font would be a handwriting type (feels more personal), but that wasn't available.
So go ahead, edit away.

Lauren said...

I hope you don't mind that I sit in on this- I really enjoy reading the thoughts.

My comment is more of a question and is rather unrelated, but here goes:
I've been writing on my own blog lately and was wondering, could anyone could help me with the formatting? I'm not quite sure how to add pictures to the background and the blog looks rather dull right now.
Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks much :)

Anonymous said...

We had Uncle Pat and Cousin Sheila over for dinner last night as well as mom and dad. Sheila is back for about a week, and it was great to see both of them. We talked about the nail incident which lead to mom and dad not agreeing on whether you were able to have a tetnus shot in Palmyra. I suggested that was quite a drive from Ames. Do you remember? Kevin, Sheila reiterated that when you feel like heading overseas, you have a place to stay! She is in London now, but thinking of moving back to Rome.
Me, I'm happy that Andrew is home, probably happier than he is now, but he'll get over it. And, I'm dealing with Tina who seems to have decided that Lorazepam is her new best friend.

Kevin said...

Lauren:
On the page you post from (the Dashboard), there are tabs on the top left. The usual tab is 'Posting.' Click on the one that says 'Layout' and then click 'Page Elements.' That will show you the current layout of your blog. If you click on the 'Edit' tag of the Header, you can put a background image there. If you click 'Add an Element,' you can add photo boxes. Of course you're welcome to hang out here!

Katie (or Katue, to use the Klingon spelling):
There was more to the story. I went to the clinic the company suggested, I think, and the doctor gave me a tetanus shot but no antibiotics. That was about 11 am, and by 2 that afternoon, I had to leave work because I couldn't bend the knee anymore. About 5, I called home, and told dad it what had happened, and that it was swollen and sore. Dad was incensed -- I didn't actually need a tetanus shot, because I'd had one within the last two years, and he thought that antibiotics was a no-brainer -- the fluid in the kneecap has very little outside circulation, so it's a great breeding ground for infection.
"You go straight to the emergency room and get some antibiotics right now," he said. "For him to not prescribe them right away is damned near grounds for malpractice."
I, of course, repeated that quote to the ER nurse. Then the doctor on call came in -- it was the same guy that I'd seen in the morning!
"You didn't have an infection this morning," he said, "so I didn't give you antibiotics. You do now, so now I will..."
See -- I could have made that story a lot longer! :)
I hope Tina is hanging in there.
Love you both.

nancyturtle said...

Lauren, you are welcome here, and if you want to post on the front page we can arrange that as well. We need your email address to send an invitation to be a contributor. Maybe Kevin can do that?

Cranium Man said...

Oh heck yes, you're welcome, Lauren! Just make sure you bring your opinions and points of view.

Yeah, I think I'll keep my own blog too, at least for my more personal rant space. I thought about adding a link if I have something pithy there to share.

I think a wider writing space would be nice.

What's the appeal of Lorazepam, Katie? I took Valium once recreationally and it really messed up my shuffleboard game.

Anonymous said...

Tina is the woman I referenced the last time I saw you who says she is chured. Lorazepam is kind of like valium, I think, (Nancy could add more). She has it to take prior to MRI's for anxiety, but has started taking it daily, apparently roughly three times a day and she wonders why she is sleeping alot. It is also an amnesiac. It was actually prescribed for me once for vertigo and it took about a week for me to realize that although I thought I was functioning....I had no recollection of meetings, phone calls, you name it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It gave me a brief peek into your mother's world and it sucked.

nancyturtle said...

I'll have to look up the details, but Lorazepam is very similar to Valium-same class of drugs. Lorezepam was developed later. It can be useful for anxiety but has a fairly high risk of psychological addiction as I recall. Remember "Valley of the Dolls"-the suburban women of the sixties? Valium was their drug of choice.
About blog formatting-Google doesn't seem to allow much flexibility. I was thinking of trying something different. Does anyone have any experience with WordPress? There are others out there as well. Let's have some fun with this!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask-Nancy do you have any idea when you plan to head this way to get the car?

nancyturtle said...

Funny you should ask-I just made a reservation on Amtrak this morning. I will be in Iowa City the last weekend in June.

Anonymous said...

Turtlewoman...shall I plan on picking you up in Mt. Pleasant?
luv,
dd

nancyturtle said...

dd-Kevin said he was planning to pick me up. It's a Friday night-go do something fun.

Anonymous said...

I will be heading over sometime that weekend too, but probably not Friday night. TD is offering to fire up the grill, depending on the lives of our children. Andrew may come along, he is a professional mower and hates it, but would suck it up for Kevin. :)

Lauren said...

I would be happy to join you! I don't know what I can contribute, but I'll try to muster up something.
*smiles*

my email is plymouthweather@gmail.com