Saturday, May 24, 2008

Transitions


I don't need no stinkin' methods -- I've got an owl in my backyard. This is a photo of him from last year. He's been around all month. Right now, he's peering intently at the ten new goldfish in the pond.

I'm still working on this whole widower thing. The first couple of weeks, I was thinking I might get off pretty easily. With a couple week's hindsight, my current theory jibes with something Dede said a couple weeks ago.

Here's my reference story: Thirty-some years ago, I built apartments for a construction/rental property firm in Ames. We were building walls, which entails laying out two long boards (a top plate and a bottom plate) and then nailing 92 5/8-inch studs between them, sixteen inches apart. We used air-powered nailguns, which could shoot a 14-penny nail with the muzzle velocity of a .38 revolver (at least that's what somebody told me). One guy holds the stud's end up to the plate, and another pops two nails through the plate into the stud, and we move on down to the next stud. I was the senior guy, and I should have been running the nailgun, but other guy was notoriously slow, and I was trying to get the rest of the first floor walls up that Friday, so I was holding the studs and trying to set the pace. Somehow, Slowguy managed to shoot a nail under the plate, so that it skipped off the floor and buried itself into my knee. Time slowed down, as time does in situations like that, and I realized that I was on a raised platform with my kneecap nailed into place. I gave it a some thought, pulled out my trusty claw hammer, and proceeded to pull the nail out of my kneecap, using my thigh for leverage.

If I told that story right, you just cringed. I do, every time I think of it, even to this day, but at the time it didn't seem that bad at all -- it was just what had to be done. Looking back on the month of April, particularly the last week or so, the stuff I described at the time as "not that bad" seems pretty darned traumatic in retrospect -- I think I'd rather pull nails. I think a lot of the immediate loss of Diana was offset quite a bit by the relief of the end of that whole surreal experience.

Currently, my mood oscillates between sad, okay, and weird. I'm about half way through The Year of Magical Thinking (the book, not the year) -- it's given me some stuff to think about, but so far I'm noticing the differences in our stories more than the similarities.

So far, she hasn't talked about identity. I find myself thinking about that. dp and I used to joke that we could have our last names changed to Andkevin and Anddiana. 'Husband' has been pretty high on my list of hats, and that hat got even bigger through the whole cancer thang. Right now, I've flipped it inside out so I can call it a widower hat, but I'm sure that will get old.

I had the same rearrangement when we closed Unbound. 'Counselor' and 'cult expert' had become part of my identity, I remember feeling gaps that needed to be filled out. Looking back, I think 'filled out' is more accurate than 'plugged,' but I'm already mashing metaphors. Let's not go stuffing hats into holes.

That was eighteen years ago, and my sense of identity has a lot more experiences to it these days. It didn't seem that undeveloped at the time, but it feels much more solid now. It can take a few holes. The reframe is interesting, though. I still tend to say 'we' a lot, and cook for two, and I realized that I was apparently waiting for Diana to get the trashcan liner put in. (What will I do without Diffusion of Responsibility?)

Emotionally, I think I'm being pretty careful. I feel like grief is this big old mud puddle that I could just go wallow around in if I wanted to, but I don't see much advantage to doing that. I've never been much of a believer in the ventilation school of emotional baggage. Yelling about something that makes me mad only makes me more angry, so I'm sticking my toe the mud, but I'm not jumping in. Still, I get bushwhacked. I was having lunch with Bob this week, and the restaraunt's music starting playing Etta James' 'At Last.' I instinctively picked up my cell phone, because that's the song I used for the appointment alarm for dp's doctor's visits. It took me a moment to put it all together, and then I just lost it for a minute. I'm not wallowing, but I suppose I am grimy.

That's more than enough self-disclosure for today. It's the Memorial day weekend, so I've got three days to try and get some more stuff done. I'm making progress -- I've finally got a good handle on the bills and the paperwork, and I have a reasonably-clean kitchen. Trooley and I have been walking every other day or so, and I got a full, reasonably-productive week in at work. I'm still behind on my web design work, and I'm doing my best to ignore the piles of dp's stuff that still have to be dealt with, but all in all, things move forward.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I cringed at the description of the nail...and then misted at the thought of such an act being easier than grief. Your description is very powerful.

I have many things I want to say and don't know whether or not this is the most appropriate place to say them, but I will start and perhaps you can let me know if I should continue.

I student taught with dp at CEC and learned about "the cancer thang" when it was too late to tell her how much she taught me and how much I appreciated her. Too late in a physical sense, at least. I made sure to share my thoughts with her spiritually and I know that she heard me; I felt that she heard me.

I learned many things the easy way because of dp's experience as an educator. I have been in alternative educator for 12 years now and not a day goes by without dp being present in my classroom. I am positive that I would not still be teaching if she hadn't been my mentor.

I feel some of the sting of your nail, and realize that some of my grief stems from my own guilt for not staying in touch more closely with dp over the years. I didn't know what was happening. Not at all. I have many excuses that are valid and only one that really counts: the birth of 3 children.

The addition of children since my CEC days has made my world incredibly small and narrow. Focus has been on these little people who I hope will carry on a hefty legacy: making a daily conscious effort to make the world a better, more beautiful place. My narrow focus left me completely unaware of the sCenario, the "cancer thang," the ANYTHING not dealing with Barney, bodily functions, kid stuff, or stuff that screams from the pages of the (de)Press(ed)-Citizen each day.

I thank you for blogging it all. I have lurked at the sCenario a few times to see how the memorial went and how everyone is doing. I have had a hard time with the rest...so far. I'm glad that it will be there when I'm ready to face a glimpse at what you have faced.

The few times I have visited the sCenario, I have enjoyed everyone's pictures of da woods and the garden. Thank you for sharing that sense of serenity. That is what I like to keep of dp with me each day...strength and serenity...

Jen D.

Kevin said...

Hey, Jen!
I didn't realize you were still in the area. I'm happy to hear from you.
Of course, before the obit, if you didn't know about the cancer, you didn't know about the blog, and we didn't tell everyone about the cancer -- it kind of changes the way people look at you.
After CEC was shut down, it was kind of painful for dp to deal with that whole part of her life. She kept meaning to write back to Don, but she said she still needed more distance from CEC.
I'm glad to hear you're still doing alternative ed, and I'm sure dp would be too. You're discovering part of dp's secret -- it's easier to devote way too much time to work when you don't have any kids!

Anonymous said...

You know, I understand CEC memories being painful. Still riles my ire...

I went and interviewed at Tate a couple of years ago and got the ire riled all over again. I could never work there. The principal made some remarks about CEC that I found very objectionable. I still regard CEC as the ideal when it comes to an alternative school. I've stolen/borrowed/copied many things from CEC and still find the methods used there to be very effective in helping struggling kids finish school. It hurts to hear my mentors bashed, to hear history rewritten to suit the purposes of administrators. Yucky.


I totally understand not telling people about the cancer. I would've done the same thing. No one wants to be viewed differently by others due to something beyond their control (cancer, skin color, mental ability...you name it. Being different due to clothing choice, musical preference, political affiliation or hairstyle is okay; but not different due to something beyond one's control!)

In any case, while I am saddened by dp's passing I feel as others do that she is still here. She really has been a part of my daily life as a teacher. I'm glad that I could post here and share with you; though you already know how inspirational dp is and will always be 8-)

I'm going to try to check back here every so often. You have inspired me to write more! I am facing a "mid-life crisis" sort of thing with my 20 year reunion coming up. I looked through my old yearbook and read many notes from old friends about how they'd buy my first published piece. Yes, I told everyone in high school that I wanted to be a writer...and I haven't written much in recent years. Your blog has really inspired me to take up the pen/pencil/keyboard and get back at it! So thank you for reminding me what a powerful and emotional experience it can be to share your writing. THANK YOU!!!

Cranium Man said...

Hi Jen,

Interesting you should comment about Tate. I'm involved peripherally with that program and it has significant structural issues. Last year a colleague wen in to discuss some curriculum for those kids and concluded that it wouldn't work there because kids were fighting too much and it was just not physically or emotionally safe enough to really accomplish anything.

There is a mix of kids with conduct issues and mental health issues and they struggle with keeping the lid on.

Not unusual for alternative programs these days, but if the pot is disparaging the kettle, it should check it's shade, as it were.

How cool that you checked in!