Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More Methods and Transitions

Welcome dd and Kevin!

My method is a bit different in that I start with an idea and then find the right picture. But it's amazing how often Cranium Man is blogging about the same ideas I am working on at the time.

I am indeed looking for a new job. A couple of years ago I realized that I would be able to retire from my current job with benefits long before reaching the traditional age of 65. I officially became eligible in the middle of March, about the same time the economy began it's latest nosedive. I always knew I wouldn't be able to stop working entirely, but thought I'd be able to do parttime or short term jobs for the intervening years until the government bennies kicked in. (I still have some optimism that there will be some bennies, at least.) But now it looks as if I will have to continue mostly full time for at least a few more years.

So, you may be thinking, why not just stay where you are? Well, that is becoming increasingly more difficult. It's a long drive (gas prices), and it's getting harder to tolerate the long night shifts. And the final straw was being docked a days pay for calling in when my best friend died. It's not so much the money but the attitude. I don't want to work for a "health care" organization with so little compassion.

Tomorrow I will talk to my financial adviser for the big picture. In the meantime, I'm scouting for jobs with a shorter commute and daytime hours. It will mean a change of specialty since all the intensive care nurseries in the state are at least an hour away from home. But I'm still capable of learning new tricks, old dog that I am....

"Today's Sagittarius Horoscope: May 21, 2008

Ingenious new techniques for making money grow may come your way today, dear Sagittarius, and while you're not one to jump into anything, you are certainly likely to give these ideas some serious thought. Take care to go only for those that are totally up front, with no hidden sides."

I found this Horoscope on the Internet after I wrote the rest of this post-really!

0 comments: